Saturday, February 20, 2010

Charlie talk and actions

I don't do scrapbooking so I'm doing this blog...hoping that kids will be able to view it for a long time...so I decided to copy and paste some of my facebook statuses for Charlie to see later. Probably won't make a whole lot of sense, just bits and pieces of what's been going on here since he arrived. And it's all backwards. The most recent posts are first.

For what?" means "Why?" ....so Charlie wants to know "We take showers, for what?" I say, "So we won't stink.That's for what." Charlie, "For what, stink?" "So we will have friends." "Awwwww....hahahha" even his laugh has a Haitian accent! =)

SLAM...Charlie wasn't too happy with me evidently. So I had to let him know we do not slam doors in this family. Bit sad yet at the same time glad he feels secure enough to vent. Later he helped stir the cinnamon into the applesauce for supper and just love love loved on me. BTW Charlie does NOT like applesauce...bahn...ahnahs, YES, 2 or 3 if you will let him, but applesauce just makes his face go all scrunchy.

Charlie called them figs at first...thought that was interesting. But now it's bahnahnahs. I LOVE that Haitian accent! He says "feeneesh" for finish too. And when we got on the plane to head for home, "No attash, no attash" for the seatbelt. He didn't want it attached

He also tells us to "close the Tv" and "close" or "open" the lights. Just love it!


Yes! Whenever one of our three younger ones ages 8,6,4 get in trouble he does the same thing! But he's quickly learning. He DOES want to know why they got put in the corner...and then seems to store it in his memory banks...cuz I don't think he's ever ever repeated any of those offenses!
Charlie did NOT like mashed potatoes...I've only cooked them once though so far. Charlie also uses the pronoun "him" only. So it's "Him did it" even when it's a sister he's pointing at... =)
..he laughs when the littles get in trouble...I didn't know if it was a nervous kind of laugh or what...but I do know that humor is a big part of who Charlie is! When he learns something he makes it into a joke...and seems like what I've read about Haitians in general, humor seems to be an important part of their culture and how they cope maybe?
Brother and sisters have been amazingly patient, generous, and kind with him...I had no time really to prepare our littles for his homecoming and was a bit nervous about how it was all going to pan out. But they have been fabulous! Whew!

Kids watched Madagascar 2 last night. There is nothing funnier than a 6 year old Haitian boy with a deep voice (especially for his age) singing, "I like em big. I like em chunky.... She like my eyes. She like my plumpiness." And he gets the right inflection and rhythm...and moves.... It's hilarious! I'm glad he enjoys ...making us laugh! Have I mentioned how he fits right in?!

So funny! You should've heard Charlie giggle when we started the Tae Bo Kicks with Billy Blanks dvd just a few minutes ago. We all had a good work-out and Charlie LOVED it!

Charlie's "blessing" tonight was "the sky"....when I asked him if he liked the sky because of the snowflakes falling from it, he just grinned and said, "Yes!" It has been so much fun watching him enjoy the snow! Thank you Jesus for these blessings!

So now we know that "sleep" is Haitian for boys' underwear..."keelot" for girls' underwear...oh my...this is quite the learning experience! `and Mama's are "big keelots" ...sigh...

Charlie loves to help fold laundry, but when he finds anyone's underwear besides his own, he just laughs and laughs! I won't even tell you what he did with my bra!!

just got in from sled-riding & snowball fighting with whole family! Charlie would show me his snowball, motion for me to be quiet and watch, and would sneak up on Daddy then throw it and run away laughing! He also made his very first snow angel!

"Charlie, come see the ladder Pap made for your bunk bed." "What ladder?" "This ladder in here." Sees Mom standing in his bedroom with Pap, but looks in the girls' room, "In here?" "No, Charlie, in here." Peeps into the bathroom with a big 'ole grin, "In here?" "No, Charlie, right here." "Oh, oh, in HERE!" The more com...fortable he gets with us the more oinery he's becoming! Fits right in with the rest of the bunch! =)

Last night, French Toast, Charlie loves to help me cook! He stirred the "goop" then put the bread in "goop" and slapped it on the skillet...and then looked up and me and grinned big. He wasn't too impressed with the goop, but my, did he like it cooked! 6 pieces of french toast he ate! "More please" is something we hear alot!

If family laughter levels could be measured, ours would be off the charts right now! Charlie likes to mimic me especially at the table. Then he just giggles! I end up tapping my head or doing something goofy just to see him do it too! He also likes to pick something up of mine, put it in his pocket, then ask me if I'v...e seen it! I look around don't see it right away and he pulls it out of his pocket just laughing!

Charlie likes Highschool Musical! So funny to watch him and foster son (age 6 too) tryin out their dance moves along with the movie! Hand-stands that turn into flips, side steps with their light saber swords, fancy foot-work with couch as a rebound type platform (til Daddy says no more) =) All to the tune of THE BOYS ARE BACK! Good times!

And at lunch yesterday I had my little Creole book of phrases out and was asking him different things. thought I'd try something funny.In Creole I asked him if he needed his diaper changed! He busted up laughing and shook his head, "no, no, no."Everybody else wanted to know what I had asked him, so I told them and he l...aughingly said, "no diaper, no diaper!" We are having so much fun!! THANK YOU JESUS FOR CHARLIE!

First hamburger.wanted "vermahj" on his sandwich.we think it's cheese..at least that's what made him happy!

Hope this Honeymoon doesn't end soon if ever! =) He eats whatever we've had. He only needs me to explain the rules and a couple of times I've had to take him aside and talk seriously/firmly to him and he "gets it" and obeys. I hope it lasts! He gets lovey once in awhile almost as if he's making up for lost time....

No comments: