Thursday, January 31, 2008

green frog woes

Well, you would not believe what I've done this time! Here I thought our boys were so excited about the green frog page! (see below for story) And it turns out I probably scared the bajeebers out of 'em!

Remember I was on a quest to find out how to pronounce "green frog" in French-Creole, so that maybe I could join in on the excitement next time when turning to that page....well, one of the ladies on our yahoogroup shared with me the following...it will explain why I'm now calling all my Danelle faux-pas, "green frogs." On second thought maybe I don't want to remember this one!


Danelle,

I had to laugh about the green frog. Haitians are VERY afraid of frogs. They have the same reaction to frogs as we do to rattle snakes. They think that if you are bitten by a frog you will die. And...if you step on a frog the poison will travel up your foot and kill you! We went to the resort last year with some Haitian friends from Mission of Hope. One of the American guys, thinking it would be very funny, picked up a frog and took it over to the group of guys. OH MY! I thought that Jorge and Claudy were going to pass out right in front of me. That is when they told me about how fearful the Haitian people are about frogs. I'm sure the kids loved the story.
Tami


No wonder they were so much more "vocal" at that page! For cryin' out loud, they probably think I'm some evil-Mamma! But really I don't think it did any permanent damage it was after this that they sang "Wise Man, Foolish Man" song with us, so they must not hold it against me too much!

Crazy white woman!

No comments: