Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A Lesson in Combustion

So M and I were on our way to the dermatologist yesterday and we were talking about something I was reading in BELIEVING GOD, by Beth Moore. As believers having the Holy Spirit living in us, we are filled with the Holy Spirit, and in the Old Testament, oil was often associated with annointing, therefore she likes to say that Holy Spirit is flammable oil and God's Word is like a torch.

When we read His Word, it ignites the Holy Spirit within us...His Spirit is "quickened" in us. "Is not my word like fire..." (Jer 23:29) Beth says in her book, "The consuming fire of our God blazes within us, bringing supernatural energy, glorious activity, and pure, unadulterated power."

So M agreed that that was pretty cool, then she said, "And our obedience is the oxygen that keeps the fire going." She went on to say, "And when we disobey the fire gets snuffed out."

...Combustion 101

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And our obedience is the oxygen that keeps the fire going." . . . "And when we disobey the fire gets snuffed out."

M has it exactly right! I couldn't have said it better myself!

I had lunch with a couple of fellow pastors the other day, and this was the topic of conversation. Christians without power, because they are not sold out to Christ, and not willing to obey. Oxygen starved, that's what they are!

Defogger

Joy said...

I love this visual concept, may I use this for an upcoming outreach mtg devotional? Love ya, Joy